In support of CREA’s General Counsel, the Legal Counsel is responsible for providing legal advice to CREA Board of Directors and Executive Officers, all CREA departments, CREA Committees and Task Forces as well as to CREA member Boards and Associations.
VP, Real Estate and General Counsel
- Advise CREA’s Board of Directors and staff on proper interpretation of CREA’s by-laws, rules and policies, as required;
- Fulfill CREA corporate secretary responsibilities under the CNCA, including filing of reports (e.g. annual reports, changes of directors for CREA, and related corporations [REALTOR® Canada Inc.]), maintaining and updating CREA’s governance documentation (minute-books, by-laws, governance policies and practices), and attending Board of Director meetings, when required.
- Act as staff liaison for CREA committees, including preparing agenda packages and minutes, as directed by the General Counsel.
- Advise CREA’s Board of Directors, CREA staff, and Boards/Associations on proper interpretation of federal legislation, including PIPEDA, the Proceeds of Crime (Money Laundering) and Terrorist Financing Act (FINTRAC), National-Do-Not-Call List, and Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL).
- Assist CREA’s advocacy activities by analyzing proposed laws, drafting written submissions on their impact, and advocating on behalf of REALTORS® before Government decision-makers, as required.
- Support CREA’s business and technology teams by advising on the legal risks associated with innovative products and services, with a focus on ensuring the proper management of intellectual property.
- Pro-actively suggest solutions to mitigate risk, when required.
- Work with CREA’s business and technology teams to mitigate risks, privacy, DNCL or CASL breaches, if necessary.
- Keep up-to-date on changes to legislation pertaining to the real estate industry, and update CREA’s compliance materials with respect to such legislation, as required;
- Present internally to CREA staff and externally to REALTORS® on federal topics such as FINTRAC, CASL and use of CREA’s Trademarks; and
- Perform other task as required by the General Counsel, including providing support related to CREA’s AGM.
- 5–10 years working in a law firm, Government law department or in-house legal environment.
- Bachelor of Laws Degree and member in good standing of the Law Society of Ontario.
- Comprehensive understanding of intellectual property law, privacy and CASL legislation, general corporate law and governance.
- Ability to communicate complex legal subjects to a non-legal audience.
- Ability to act independently with a minimum of supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Very organized, independent individual
- Ability to manage various files and work well under pressure
- Experience acting as a corporate secretary and/or taking minutes.
- Experience working with not-for-profit associations and the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act.
- Experience with administrative law (disciplinary proceedings and natural justice/procedural fairness).
- Litigation experience.
- Government relations experience.
- Bilingualism is an asset.
To apply for this position, please submit your application to email@example.com and state the title of the position in the subject line of your e-mail.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration for the role will be contacted.
At CREA, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. Part of this commitment includes arranging accommodations to ensure an equitable opportunity to participate in the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
< Back to Careers