- Updates and maintains economic databases and associated interactive dashboards.
- Prepares monthly data for subscribers and assists with ad hoc data requests.
- Generates statistical charts included in CREA’s news releases and podcasts on housing market trends and forecasts.
- Creates computer programs to automate and increase efficiency of data processing and analysis in support of CREA’s economic and housing market analysis program.
- Downloads, processes and charts housing data from CMHC, consumer confidence data from the Conference Board of Canada, and demographic data from Statistics Canada.
- Generates seasonally adjusted data using models developed by Statistics Canada in support of CREA’s monthly statistical news release.
- Troubleshoots and resolves any diagnostic errors generated by seasonal adjustment model operations.
Analysis & Communication
- Performs current analysis of, and drafts reports on:
- Local and provincial housing market trends
- National, regional, provincial and local market economic indicators and trends
- Interest rates and Bank of Canada announcements/speeches
- Labour force trends
- Demographic trends
- Provides quotes for Real Estate Board/Association Presidents on local real estate market trends.
- Provides custom reports for Real Estate Boards/Associations on a timely basis.
A. Operations, Analysis and Communication
- Analyzes MLS®, economic, financial market, labour force, and demographic data, and uses results to draft reports and news releases on a timely basis.
- Provides monthly updates to provincial and national consumer confidence as factors affecting housing purchases and general consumer outlook.
- Generates time series and charts for housing market statistics and other data as required.
- Provides weekly updates to Bank, mortgage, interest, and exchange rates, as well as Canadian and U.S. bond yields and spreads as factors affecting the Canadian mortgage rate outlook.
- Drafts monthly and quarterly reports to increase REALTOR® knowledge of market conditions and to raise the profile of CREA and the Multiple Listing Service®. Independently manages projects to provide useful analysis of aggregate and transactional data on local housing markets for real estate boards/associations.
- Maintains and updates interactive dashboards to raise the profile of CREA and the MLS® Home Price Index.
- Maintains, revises, tests, and runs CREA’s seasonal adjustment model used to seasonally adjust statistics on home sales via MLS® Systems of Canadian real estate boards/associations, collaborating with Statistics Canada when necessary.
- Models and analyzes improvements and/or revisions to CREA’s database of statistics on home sales via MLS® Systems of Canadian real estate boards/associations.
- Provides input into housing market forecasts based on housing market trends and other economic factors.
- Assists in the research of causes for statistical anomalies regarding home sales activity via MLS® Systems of Canadian real estate boards/associations as required.
- Independently researches, or collaboratively assists with the research on MLS® housing market and economic relationships to be presented at economic committee meetings when required.
- Participates in economic forums, technical seminars, and workshops to further the understanding of economic issues affecting the housing market.
- Completes advanced statistical software training courses and applies learned knowledge to develop new and more efficient analytical programs.
- Independently researches, implements, and learns new data visualization technologies and techniques to develop user-friendly interactive dashboards and further promote the MLS® Home Price Index, CREA, and its value to members.
- University degree in economics from an accredited university.
- Experience analyzing interest rates, economic statistics, the Canadian macro economy, and the interaction between monetary policy and macroeconomic outcomes.
- Strong knowledge of econometrics.
- Proficiency with MS Office.
- Experience with SAS a major asset.
- Experience with EViews, Beyond 20/20 Browser, and Tableau an asset.
- Ability to research, synthesize, condense and interpret statistical data, and transform it into market intelligence from a variety of sources.
- Ability to translate statistical trends into interesting, reader-friendly text.
- Close attention to detail and sharp proof-reading skills.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Resourceful, with strong independent research skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to handle several jobs simultaneously, meet tight deadlines, and work independently with minimal direction.
To apply for this position, please submit your application to email@example.com and state the title of the position in the subject line of your e-mail.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration for the role will be contacted.
At CREA, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. Part of this commitment includes arranging accommodations to ensure an equitable opportunity to participate in the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.< Back to Careers