The Senior Policy Advisor conducts research, provides technical expertise, and engages with the government on behalf of The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA).
Director, Government Relations
The Senior Policy Advisor conducts research, provides technical expertise, and engages with government in order to support the real estate sector and find solutions to the policy challenges currently facing the housing industry. A team-oriented, highly-motivated, and strategic-minded professional with a strong background in policy development and analysis.
- Policy development
- Communication & Presentation skills
- Strict attention to detail
- Good judgement and political acuity
- Provide thorough, timely, and accurate analysis of complex policies and issues impacting homeowners, homebuyers, and the real estate industry.
- Monitor the development and progression of major federal legislation and regulation and provide timely and relevant updates to the Government Relations team.
- Develop policy proposals, recommendations and discussion papers based on research, analysis, environmental scanning, and organizational priorities.
- Provide written and oral briefings to CREA colleagues, management and senior leadership.
- Monitor and assess source reliability and bias when it comes to information gathering and policy development.
- Maintain effective working relationships with Boards, Associations, stakeholders and Departmental Officials within the federal government.
- Monitor developments in government relations and lobbying and determine any relevant implications for CREA.
- Research and synthesize complex concepts and information to inform policy development.
- Undertake other projects and duties as assigned by the Director, Government Relations and/or Vice-President, Advocacy.
*Some travel is required post pandemic
- College diploma, university degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 3-5 years’ work experience in an association, federal government and/or financial industry
- Experience developing policies that cut across government departments and program areas
- Proven track record of working effectively with external organizations, experts, academia, and government officials
- Strong business acumen / financial industry knowledge, with a high comfort level working with and interpreting financial data to inform policy development
- Advanced research, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Strategic and creative communicator with the ability to brief effectively to inform communications, government relations, and leadership decisions
- Innovative thinker, with an ability to test/reject/refresh policy options
- Strong interpersonal skills, including an ability to develop and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience managing multiple projects and delivering quality results under tight timelines
- Previous experience in the real estate industry is a definite asset
- Fluently bilingual in English and French is preferred
To apply for this position, please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org and state the title of the position in the subject line of your e-mail.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration for the role will be contacted.
At CREA, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, barrier-free and accessible environment. Part of this commitment includes arranging accommodations to ensure an equitable opportunity to participate in the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.< Back to Careers