CREA and its member boards and associations support a competitive marketplace. Boards and Associations must adhere to the Principles of Competition which were adopted in 1999.
- Commission rates or fees that members charge for services offered to the public, and the division of those fees among cooperating members, are solely the choice of those providing the services.
- A brokerage may select its own business model and offer a variety of services, e.g. exclusive, open, mere posting of MLS® listings, etc. Boards and real estate associations accept MLS® listings regardless of the price, commission rates or fees, or the division thereof.
- Advertising by members and non-members is subject to the discretion of the individual, as long as it is honest and lawful and not otherwise restricted by the seller. We encourage creative, competitive choices in the services advertised to the public.
- Broker members, their salespersons and non-members are able to determine the nature of their business relationships among themselves. With regard to board and association membership, members may choose for themselves to work full or part time, as long as they remain available to serve the public on a regular basis, and provided provincial enabling legislation does not otherwise authorize limiting such choice.
- All members are required to meet uniform and reasonable financial and educational standards, and standards of competence, integrity and character necessary to serve the public.