These privacy policies always apply when using any of CREA products and services. Therefore, regardless of whether you are a REALTOR.ca user, REALTOR®, global affiliate or someone else, you should be mindful of these policies.
By providing personal information to CREA, you consent to its collection, use and disclosure in accordance with CREA’s privacy policies. Consent to the collection and certain uses of the information may be refused or withdrawn by you subject to legal or contractual requirements. In the event you withdraw consent please note, CREA may not be able to offer certain information or services to you.
Use and Disclosure Without Consent
In certain circumstances, CREA may be permitted or required by law to disclose personal information without consent. Those circumstances may include:
- Where the information was public;
- Where required by law;
- Where it is necessary to protect the rights of an identifiable person or group;
- Other circumstances recognized by privacy legislation as permitting disclosure without consent.
Disclosure to Law Enforcement
CREA reserves the right to report to law enforcement agencies any uses of CREA websites including but not limited to REALTOR.ca, that it, in good faith, believes to be unlawful. You agree that CREA may release your personal information to law enforcement agencies where CREA has reasonable grounds to believe that such release is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property and safety of CREA or any person.
- CREA takes reasonable steps to protect information from unauthorized access or disclosure in a manner commensurate with its sensitivity, value and criticality. This applies regardless of the media on which the information is stored, the location where the information is stored, the systems used to process the information or the processes by which information is handled.
- The measures used to protect personal information include physical measures (e.g. locked filing cabinets), organizational measures (e.g. information is available to other persons only on a need-to-know-basis) and technological measures (e.g. computer passwords).
- While CREA puts in place reasonable precautions, we cannot guarantee at all times the security of the information. No method of transmitting or storing data is completely secure, particularly with regard to Internet applications.
CREA attempts to insure the Personal Information under its control is as accurate, complete, current and relevant as is necessary for its identified purpose.
CREA retains Personal Information as long as is necessary to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected. CREA has in place a record management practice consistent with the nature and need for the information and legislative requirements.
Individuals may request access to any Personal Information about themselves retained in CREA records. All access requests must be in writing and must be directed to CREA’s Chief Privacy Compliance Officer. Access requests must be accompanied by appropriate identification satisfactory to CREA. CREA has the right prior to responding to any access requests, to take whatever steps it deems necessary to confirm the identify the person making the request. CREA will endeavour to provide any applicable information within 30 days of the date of the request.
CREA may charge a nominal amount for costs incurred in providing the information, where reasonable and allowed by law.
Where an individual believes that the Personal Information in the CREA file is inaccurate, he or she may have appended to the record any alternative information, where CREA is of the view that the appended information is, in fact, correct.
CREA has the right to decline to provide access to Personal Information in a number of circumstances, including where the information:
- Is subject to solicitor-client privilege;
- Could interfere with law enforcement, investigative or regulatory functions;
- Would disclose of Personal Information of another individual;
- Would cause serious harm to another individual;
- Is confidential business information that may harm CREA or the competitive position of a third party;
- Any other circumstances recognized by the privacy legislation. Where the information cannot be disclosed, the individual making the request will be provided with the reasons for non-disclosure.
CREA doesn’t operate in a vacuum. We work with other companies (known as “third parties”) to bring you information and services. While we always strive to work with third parties operating using high privacy standards, working with third parties could have an impact on how your personal information is handled.
Third Party Links and Sources of Information
Many CREA products, including REALTOR.ca, may include links to third party websites. Before using those third party websites, you should carefully examine their privacy policies because any personal information that you choose to provide to them will be subject to their privacy policies.
Many CREA products, including REALTOR.ca, use third party service providers, for example, to store information in the Cloud. Some of these service providers, and the databases where they store personal information, are located outside of Canada. You should note that where personal information is located outside of Canada, it is subject to the laws of that jurisdiction in which it is located, and could be subject to lawful demands for access by law enforcement agencies.
We have an obligation to tell you if there are any risks to you that could result if someone (not us!) misuses the personal information you provide us. Honestly, we’ve struggled what to say here as most of the information we collect is not particularly sensitive.
Also, keep in mind that when you provide your personal information to a REALTOR® (for example to, advertise your listing), the REALTOR® may use a variety of CREA, Board/Association and third party systems and software solutions to promote that property and conduct the transaction. So your personal information may end up in more places than you originally anticipated. Talk to your REALTOR® to find out just what exactly they do with your personal information, so you aren’t surprised.